Followers

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Reflections of a Stargazer

A shadow looms over a busy city. Even now in the early hours of the morning the hustle and bustle never ceases. I can feel the moistening air surround me; the dew dampens all things dry, cleaning them for another day. Street lights glow, illuminating the roads as well as the sky, taking away any hopes of maybe catching a glimpse of the stars. The sound of a car, speeding by on a motorway, probably heading towards the airport, the sky begins to darken and I feel droplets of water splash against my face and then trickle to the floor. A light drizzle coats the rooftop with a layer of water and then stops. I stare into this vast abyss, wondering when the clouds will clear, but just as I dream of a new light to come, the power fails and the darkness spreads.

Only now can I see those stars, they were always there but hidden from sight, hidden from the masses until they lose something they hold dear. Another wave of droplets fall from the sky and this time faster and harder, I feel drenched, cleansed from the sins of humanity.

I think to myself, cynical much, yes of course. A city falling in shambles, death so frequently talked about it scares you, not because it is frightening, but because it is so common in our society its concept is lost.

Time passes but I do not stir, I feel no cold, I feel nothing any more. Times have changed. This city I call home is not the same anymore. I ponder about past present and future. What is to become of us all.

As I sit here on my roof top, staring out into the dark, the city stirs. It truly never sleeps and as I phase back into reality, the clouds begin to break as a single beam of light breaks through the darkness. Morning has come.

1 comment: